Myths Of Leadership
1. If I’m not at the top, I can’t lead.
- Build relationships with others to gain influence naturally.
- Leadership is about valuing people, caring about them and getting permission to lead them.
- People follow you, because they want to.
- Every level of a company depends on leadership from someone.
2. When I get to the top, I will lead.
- Being a leader is a lifetime process.
- When the opportunity arises then it’s too late to prepare
3. When I get to the top I won’t be limited.
- As you move up, your responsibility increases.
- As a leader: Connect with people, find a common ground and empower them to succeed.
- When you go up, the pressure is greater and your decisions have more impact.
Mangers vs Leaders
- Managers make people feel stupid and lazy, but leaders free people to be smart and motivated.
- Managers use titles to demand respect and require submission but leaders inspire respect by being productive and showing the way.
- Managers set goals for other, but leaders help others set their own goals.
- Managers impose accountability, but leaders give ownership.
- Managers please their higher-ups, but leaders serve their team
- Managers keep people from making mistakes, but leaders allow people to learn from their mistakes.
- Managers promote themselves, but a leader promotes others.
- Managers browbeat people, but a leader motivates people to make meaning.
What will you do to develop your team?